Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sunday... a lovely day

I woke up early on Sunday energized and refreshed after a good nights sleep. Ate breakfast with my host mom and was off to have a day of exploring. I wandered around with my friend Merell- a girl from Amsterdam. All my friends here are quite international- there are VERY few people from the States... kind of refreshing really. We walked around Cuzco all day- exploring new corners of the city... finding new plazas to sit and people watch in. We went to the main plaza- the plaza de armas and watched a big ceremony of the army- they marched around the plaza chanting and singing.. it was quite the ceremony (not really sure what for) but entertaining. We walked and walked until we couldn't walk anymore and decided to have a girls day and do manicures.... peruvian style. One lady did our nails in a bucket in a loft of a store....but it was fun we could just be girls for the day and it was dirt cheap.

Next I decided to conquer my Sunday mission.... to find GOOD ice cream. Cookies and cream preferably- we went to the avenida del sol- I had remembered seeing an ice cream place that was labeled "the best in the world".... just what I was looking for. Ish... quite the disappointment. Ice Cream is not Peru's strong point. Oh well... we got our little ice cream & took it to the park and enjoyed it. The sceanary was great, ice cream...boooooo!

After our ice cream we headed back home so I could call all my family since they were all together for the Superbowl- YEAHHHHH!!!!!!!! It was sooooo good and refreshing- uplifting to hear my family. I love Peru & all my experiences but I miss my family SO much. Even the ones in Oregon seem so far away from here. I am learning lots but will be super excited to getting back home- I'm one blessed girl where I'm from & the people in my life. I have lots to go back to!

After getting my fill of my family I drug my friend from Amsterdam to watch the Superbowl with me at a little bar. There were two latinos watching and for some reason I KNEW they were from Mexico... I asked them and sure enough... I joked with them that Mexicans would be the only Latinos interested in the Superbowl. They will probably be the only two Mexicans I come across in Peru. There was another guy from NY and two from LA and we all bonded over the 4 hour superbowl. Good game. Good company. GREAT food. That was the first time I'd eaten in a "real restaurant" and I had a chicken sandwich that was to die for. The only problem was that we watched on ESPN so EVERY 30 seconds there was a commercial break we had to watch the ESPN commercials- about 5 commercials that were repeated the ENTIRE game... not the fun traditional ones. Bummer.

Great night though- fun to watch from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment